Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Frustrated!

Webs User
Site Owner

Well.  How do I say this without bashing my own site.  I had a good friend tell me that if I am going to complain about their product on other sites, I should do the same on my own.  

As you can see I have spent a lot of money on Mapex drums.  One guy on another site called me a rich, gear snob.  Well my wife can tell you that we are definitely not rich.  We are usually living month to month.  Compared to many places in the world, I guess we might be considered rich.  As far as here, in Canada, we are not rich.  

Here is my list of problems I have had with there product to date.  

1 My 8x8 tom had two cracks completely around the drum finish.

2 My 13 that I special ordered had hoops on it that were rough and not finished to the same    color as the rest of the kit.  Then when they replaced them, the new ones where the same :(

3 All 7 of my special ordered Saturns, had lacquer ripples, usually only found in low end        kits.

4 The 14 x 5.5 Phosphor Bronze snare that I bought, had a crease in the shell 

5 The Chery Bomb snare I purchase last week, had a really uneven bearing edge on it.

Yes I love the way my mapex drums sound.  I am just a little concerned about how they are made.  I am currently awaiting my replacement drums from Mapex.  Fingers crossed :) 

--

January 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patentagosse

Who are you dealing with?  Have you ever been directly in contact with guys from SF Marketing in Montreal (Mapex Canada)?  I don't know if my friend Sami Kasilbash still works ther but he was THE guy to contact in case of problems with your kit (if your local drumshop don't want to go the xtra mile for you). 

--

Patentagosse

January 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webs User
Site Owner

I know all the guys at SF on a first name basis, believe me.  The sales rep for SF marketing came out to my house in person, and told me that I should be prepared that if I get replacement drums for the ripple problem, that they might be the same way again, so it might be a waste of time.  He said the ripples would not affect the sound any.  At that point I did not want to talk to this guy any more.  He did not get it.  You do not have ripples on a professional drum kit.  Lets just say he left shortly after.  After a few more phone calls they agreed to replace them.  I spent 6 thousand dollars on the Mapex drums alone.  I just want to be shown a little love :)  

--

January 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

airone

hey speaking of lacquers and stuff, im trying to find out what the name of the color for my kit is. its not galaxy sparkle and its not root beer burst, it changes colors as you move around it and its really cool. several different colors. but mostly dark silver metalic. ive asked several peeps but never have gotten a real answer. how do i find out. see i said i would start laying out questions, and here we go!!!!!!!!!:D

--
January 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webs User
Site Owner

Put some pics of your kit up on here, so we can have a good look. Make sure we can see the color well.  If we don't know, I will find out for you.  

--

January 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Giuli
Administrator

airone at January 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM

hey speaking of lacquers and stuff, im trying to find out what the name of the color for my kit is. its not galaxy sparkle and its not root beer burst, it changes colors as you move around it and its really cool. several different colors. but mostly dark silver metalic. ive asked several peeps but never have gotten a real answer. how do i find out. see i said i would start laying out questions, and here we go!!!!!!!!!:D

If the ''dusty tom'' pic represents one of your kit's toms, then your are the happy owner of a LASER BLACK Saturn. 

January 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matchgrip1

Hey Sticks,

Did you ever get taken care of from the Mapex reps regarding your finish?  I ran into a similar problem with my 9" tom.  I wasn't able to get a warm tone from that drum, and when I decided to change the heads to see if that was the problem, I found the inner ply delaminated and cracked through the drum.  Not good.  I called my dealer and they jumped on Mapex real quick.  I was sent a replacement drum the same week and thankfully, it was the right finish and no issues.  I have spoken with some of the reps since then about several different things, and found that there are a few that understand what we are looking for, but they are not the Quality Control team, and that is where the issues are.  I am relentless with vendors when it comes to quality, and if I am paying hard earned cash for my gear, I want nothing less than the best from them.  Kinda funny about Mapex though... When I posted a photo of my kit on their facebook site, I won the "pic on the fridge" contest for January.  The rep sent me an e-mail saying that I was getting a prize package.  I didn't expect much, and that is what I received:  not much!  He sent me two plastic junk ink pens, and a stack of about 100 Mapex stickers, all the same stickers, and the latest catalog.  Now what the hell am I gonna do with 100 stupid mapex decals?  I thought it was sort of funny actually!  We all spend big bucks on our gear, and I have used my mapex kit on many high exposure gigs, but they really don't give a shit, trust me.  A&R guys suck...!  yeah, I enjoy my Mapex kit, but I have four other kits as well, and I have had MUCH better response out of the A&R guys from DW and Maryland Drums than I have had from Mapex.  (Maryland Drums are amazing, but they went out of business a while back)... Oh well, it's all about pride in the company that you work for.  Just remember, the Mapex Drums are NOT made in this country....! 

February 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Webs User
Site Owner

It has been a year and a half, and I still don't have a full kit without defect.  I think that is a bit much.  Yes they are taking care of my rippled drums, but I did have to make a big fuss about it, which made me feel like I did something wrong.  I did not get these drums on sale.  I paid 7 grand for just the Mapex drums, not including the rack and cymbals.  I think I did my part in contributing towards the company.  This was my mid-life crises monster kit that I have always wanted after all.

I bought these drums, soley on the sound of them.  I had not heard anything like them ie:Tama, DW, Pearl, Brady, Sonor, Ludwig etc.  The combination of Maple and Walnut is like no other.  All I ever exspected was properly made product for my money.

I think I have been very patient considering what I have been through.  If I did not love these drums as much as I do, It might be a different story.

I have asked to have our site link be put up on the USA Mapex site like Another site has.  I don't think they should have exclusivity for this right.

I am still awaiting word on this.       

--

February 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mylove4mapex

Patentagosse at January 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Who are you dealing with?  Have you ever been directly in contact with guys from SF Marketing in Montreal (Mapex Canada)?  I don't know if my friend Sami Kasilbash still works ther but he was THE guy to contact in case of problems with your kit (if your local drumshop don't want to go the xtra mile for you). 

I've also had a few issues with my kit albei small in nature but no less a reason for concern,the chrome on my 10 and 16" tom rims is pealing off...after speaking with SF and like yourself being on a first name basis with them they are in the process of replacing them for me although the 16" needs to be ordered so there is a wait time.

Like yourself I have spent a small fortune on my kit over the years and for the quality to be as you say sort of angers me,and especially to have a gentleman tell you that even the replacments will have the ripple problem is simply not acceptable as far as I see it.I am not rich in any way shape or form and live largley month to month also so for problems like this to arrise hit hard.Hope that you can get some satifaction Sticks.

--

March 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.